I witnessed the moonlight on the grounds
Where I once used to play football
Oh how we ran like hunting hounds
And returned home before nightfall.
Those were the days of innocence,
Before my lips had touched a bottle of beer
Or those of girls, for it was of them
And darkness that I had great fear.
That is why i love the moonlight
For it saves me from the night's groping darkness
It shows me the path that is right
I wish there'd be a path towards greatness.
So that I could have shown you what I am
Not to boast nor to brag, but to win your love
But all I did is what an innocent child can
Tried every trick in the book, to win your love.
I could juggle the ball or make my finger vanish
What does it take for a girl to be impressed?
Thinking of that, from my class I got banished!
It was for you that I was often well dressed.
But it was all in vain
So I took to the verse
To vent out my pain
For I didn't know how to converse.
Those are all that remain of those times
And shall remain for as long as I am alive
Memories may fade as the clock chimes
But in my verses the child will survive.
I wrote this poem nearly 2 years ago in order to do exactly what the person who is the narrative voice in the poem seems to have struggled to do. Impress a girl. Some things that worry a child are really funny when we grow up and one such thing which worried me a lot was being impressive to the opposite sex (ok adults worry about it too. But not as much. I hope), something that I failed miserably in! Things got better as I got older, wiser and started writing poems such as this one. This is one of my favorite poems not only because the ladies found it impressive, but because it is an honest confession. I have edited several times and here is the final result.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment